Chunling Lu, Ph.D., is Assistant Professor in the Department of Medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital and in Global Health and Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School. As a health economist, Dr. Lu is engaged in research in four general areas which are related to the Global Health Delivery program: (1) tracking, measuring, and analyzing national and global funding sources for health; (2) developing methodologies, measurements, and information-collecting technologies that facilitate comparative analysis for evaluation research; (3) evaluating the impact of global health aid on health outcomes; (4) evaluating the fairness and efficiency of national or international health programs, and (5) measuring the economic burden of diseases and economic impact of treating diseases in developing countries.
• 1986 B.A., International Relations, Fudan University, Shanghai China
• 1989 M.A. Political Science, Fudan University, Shanghai China
• 1997 M.A. Sociology, Syracuse University
• 1998 M.S. Applied Statistics, Syracuse University
• 2000 Ph.D., Economics, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University
• Lu C, Michaud CM, Khan K, Murray CJL. Absorptive capacity and disbursements by the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria: analysis of grant implementation. Lancet 2006;368:483–88.
• Lu C, Michaud CM, Gakidou E, Khan K, Murray CJL. Effect of the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization on diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis vaccine coverage: an independent assessment. Lancet 2006;368:1088–95.
• Lu C, Frank RG, McGuire TG. Demand response of mental health services to cost sharing under managed care. Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics 2008;11(3):113-125.
• Lu C, Frank RG, McGuire TC. Demand response to cost sharing under managed health care. Contemporary Economic Policy 2009;27(1):1-15
• Lu C, Chin B, Li G, Murray CJL. Limitations of methods for measuring out-of-pocket and catastrophic private health expenditures. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2009;87:238–244.
• Lu C, Frank RG, Liu Y, Shen J. The Impact of mental health on labour market outcomes in China. The Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics 2009;12:157-166.
• Lu C, Schneider MT, Gubbins P, Leach-Kemon K, Jamison D, Murray CJL. Public financing of health in developing countries: impact of GDP growth, size of government and development assistance for health. Lancet 2010;375:1375-87.
• Lu C, Liu Y, Shen J. Does China’s rural cooperative medical system achieve its goals? – Evidence form the China Health Surveillance Baseline 2001 Survey. Contemporary Economic Policy 2011. doi:10.1111/j.1465-7287.2011.00252.x